Happy Valentines Day everyone! To celebrate the day of love, here are the top 5 romantic cities in the world, as immortalized by art, legends, film and music.
1. Paris : Was there any doubt? Paris is said to the most romantic city in the world ? it has the trifecta of great food, glamorous fashion and great wine; making it a romantic destination for millions. Most recently, Paris was the backdrop of the Woody Allen film Midnight In Paris. Like they say in the film, For all we know, Paris is the hottest spot in the universe.
2. Venice: What can be more romantic than sitting in a gondola with a loved one? There are beautiful bridges to cross, Veneto cuisine to enjoy, and spend the evening at an old palace. The city of Casanova and the backdrop of the tragic love story of Othello and Desdemona; Venice has seen all facets of love. There is even a video game ? The Merchant Prince ? about this city! Truman Capote once said that Venice is like eating an entire box of chocolate liqueurs in one go. Yum!
3. London : London is where old and new collide. You can take your loved one for high tea to experience how the royalty spent their days, then spend the evening dancing, and top it off with a bit of shopping. The city that witnessed a royal romance that spanned ten years and subsequent royal wedding in 2011 is indeed the perfect place for many a romantic getaway. But remember, according to Lord Curzon, Gentlemen never wear brown in London.
4. New York City : Desmond Morris called New York the human zoo. Well known for its diversity, New York city is where all the modern roads lead to. For the urbanite, this is the perfect romantic getaway. Spent the day in MoMA, catch a show on Broadway, and end the evening by listening to some Jazz.
5. Rio de Janeiro: The best place for those with rhythm in blood; Rio is where you go to dance and sunbath your worries away. Take your loved one to the beach to relax and people watch during the day and continue with a dance party during the night. Don?t forget to enjoy the local cuisine; and if it all gets a bit too much, trekk up the Pão de Açúcar and enjoy the sights.
Have you been to these cities? Or do you have another romantic city to suggest to the lovers of the world? Tell us!
PS: Many thanks to Camdiluv for the image.